pinterest-e8324.html put a fork in it: Recipe Backlog: Super Bowl Recipe Review

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Recipe Backlog: Super Bowl Recipe Review

Over the past 2 weeks I have been slacking... first my computer was loaned out and I was unable to communicate to the world- which ultimately resulted in me following out of my regular blogging routine. Then, when I got my computer back, I had so many recipes to write about- I'll be honest- I got a little overwhelmed.

Now, with two cups of coffee and a little brainstorming, I think I am ready to tackle my recipe backlog-

First, lets reach back to the overwhelmingly popular Super Bowl Extravaganza post....
I was so pleased with the responses I received from that post! Then I realized I never followed up with how my Super Bowl eats turned out.

I ended up having just a small get-together with 6-8 people, and WAY too much food. All the recipes that I posted for Super Bowl were completely new- so I was super anxious/excited that my health-ier creations would turn out! The four recipes that I ended up making included:

To start of the review, I was really pleased with the Slow Cooker Spinach and Artichoke Dip. It was fairly simple to make, and no one noticed that it was the "healthier" version of the traditional dip (aka caloric catastrophe). 

My dip got a little watery after I added extra the spinach and kale. Typically I try to add extra if I can get away with it, but this recipe you definitely can not. The additional moisture makes the cheese (oily ingredients) separate from the water released by the kale and spinach, making for a not so appetizing dip. To remedy this, I simply poured out the water that had separated and stirred. 

It is important to note that the yield is ENORMOUS. I had so much left over! If I make this dish again I will either (1) invite more people, or (2) cut the recipe in half! On the plus side, the dip kept well and we ended up eating it on pita bread, Triskets, and even flat bread pizza. Overall I would give it a 3 out of 4 forks.



The Jalapeno Poppers were a BIG hit. Unfortunately I waited until the last minute to do my Super Bowl shopping, and when I got to Winco, they were completely out of fresh jalepenos!! SO, I simply bought the bigger/less spicy version, Pasilla peppers. I made a few changes to the recipe which included: (1) I subbed the bread crumbs for whole wheat bread crumbs, (2) added diced Serrano peppers to the cheese mixture to make them more spicy and (3) used Neufchâtel cheese instead of fat free cream cheese (its found in the same section right next to the cream cheeses). I give these 4 out of 4 forks, and I will definitely be making these again!!



The Creamy Garlic Herb Dip turned out so-so. It had good flavor but left a very, very, strong garlic after taste. I am a BIG fan of garlic and usually throw an extra 1-3 cloves of garlic into recipes depending on what I am making. But even for me, the garlic flavor was a little over the top. Definitely not something you would want to eat if you plan or receiving or giving any kisses. I am going to give this recipe 1 out of 4 forks- I don't plan on making this again.


Last but not least, Rachel Ray's Indian Summer Chili. One word. YUM. YUM. YUM. Traditionally I prefer chili with beans- this is the first all-meat chili I've made and it turned out WONDERFUL! All my guests really liked it, and I had enough left overs for lunch the next day (always a plus). Typically I make a few variations to recipes as I go, but this I stayed 100% true to Rachel's instructions and she didn't disappoint. I topped the chili with some fresh white onion and shredded low-fat cheddar cheese. I give this recipe four out of four forks!! I will most definitely be making this recipe again.



No comments:

Post a Comment