pinterest-e8324.html put a fork in it: Quinoa Lasagna

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Quinoa Lasagna



I am a BIG fan of lasagna, however due to my dietary limitations, (lactose intolerant) I have drastically cut back on my lasagna intake. Like most kids, I grew up favoring my Mom’s dishes, including her fabulous lasagna. When I went off to college, I don’t know how many times I called her for her recipes; but no matter how hard I tried they never turned out quite as good as hers! (I still think she might hold out some secret ingredients to keep me coming back).

As I got older and my food lifestyle moved in a healthier direction, I started to adjust my mom’s traditional recipes into, what I like to call, “healthier adaptations”. Nothing too drastic, because I like to capture the tastes I grew up loving, but some simple substitutions can go a looooong way.

My parents have also started to make more gentle substitutions here and there, but when it comes to lasagna my dad is not as willing to adapt. One night he and my mom came over for dinner when I finally got settled into Boise and I made them my healthier adaptation of my mom’s lasagna (unbeknownst to my dad). One of the big changes (at least according to my dad) is the substitution of Italian turkey sausage for regular Italian pork sausage. Apparently a few years prior my mom tried to make the switch, my dad ate the lasagna no complaints, but saw the turkey sausage container in the trash AFTER and was not pleased he had been “tricked”. Needless to say, that put a kibosh on my mom trying to implement turkey sausage into their diet.

I don’t know if my dad was just being nice, or if he really did like my lasagna but he ate my healthy version and even asked for seconds! He even asked my mom if she put spinach in hers (as if it was a good thing spinach was in mine). My mom later told me that was another healthy switch that apparently didn’t go over well.

But enough about my family let’s talk LASAGNA. In addition to making my family favorite I also tried out a new recipe, Quinoa Lasagna.

A little about Quinoa:

Quinoa (keen-wah) is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a member of the true grass family. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach and tumbleweeds (Thanks Wikipedia).

As you most know, quinoa is considers a super food, and something that we should eat regularly. Quinoa has a laundry list of health benefits including (Source: Fobes.com):

  • Quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat. It is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.
  • Quinoa contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. Fiber is most widely known to relieve constipation. It also helps to prevent heart disease by reducing high blood pressure and diabetes. Fiber lowers cholesterol and glucose levels, may lower your risk of developing hemorrhoids, and may help you to lose weight (it takes a longer time to chew than does other foods because it makes you feel fuller for longer and is less “energy dense,” which means it has fewer calories for the same volume of food).
  • Quinoa contains Iron. Iron helps keep our red blood cells healthy and is the basis of hemoglobin formation. Iron carries oxygen from one cell to another and supplies oxygen to our muscles to aid in their contraction. Iron also increases brain function because the brain takes in about 20% of our blood oxygen. There are many benefits of iron; it aids in neurotransmitter synthesis, regulation of body temperature, enzyme activity and energy metabolism.
  • Quinoa contains lysine. Lysine is mainly essential for tissue growth and repair.
  • Quinoa is rich in magnesium. Magnesium helps to relax blood vessels and thereby to alleviate migraines. Magnesium also may reduce Type 2 diabetes by promoting healthy blood sugar control. Other health benefits of magnesium include transmission of nerve impulses, body temperature regulation, detoxification, energy production, and the formation of healthy bones and teeth.
  • Quinoa is high in Riboflavin (B2). B2 improves energy metabolism within brain and muscle cells and is known to help create proper energy production in cells.
  • Quinoa has a high content of manganese. Manganese is an antioxidant, which helps to prevent damage of mitochondria during energy production as well as to protect red blood cells and other cells from injury by free radicals.

So needless to say, I was stoked to find another delicious recipe that would help me implement quinoa into my diet. I would give this recipe 4 out of 4 forks (using my substitutions/additions of course). The one big drawback, and this is true for any good lasagna, is the time requirements. It is not a quick dinner recipe, but the reward is WELL worth the time! And it keeps well for left overs/lunches. I have also frozen individual portions for on-the-go lunches or late night dinners.
I was a little skeptical about the quinoa, and how the whole dish was going to come together. The noodles usually provide a firm/different texture to contrast the more soft layers (cheese/meet sauce). Therefore substituting the noodles for another “soft” layer definitely created some doubt on my part. The key? ZUCCHINI! The layers of zucchini definitely added the mixture of textures I was looking for. It provided a nice crunch in each bite, but was soft enough to easily cut through. Making for a yum-yum-yum combo. I definitely recommend trying BOTH the quinoa and the Lee Family Lasagna! Enjoy!

Quinoa Lasagna
 
Servings: 8  
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours 


 




Ingredients
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil or olive oil (I’ve been using coconut oil as a substation for canola)
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 lb Italian turkey/chicken sausage (*this is optional, omit if you’d prefer veggie lasagna)
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms (Frank vetoed the addition of mushrooms)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups tomato sauce or prepared pasta sauce (I would recommend making 2.5-3cups, a little extra is always good)
  • 2 cups fat free cottage cheese skim Ricotta Cheese (I dislike cottage cheese in lasagna, primarily because it give a weird texture, I recommend using Ricotta Cheese instead)
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 cups sliced zucchini
  • 2 cups packed fresh spinach (or 1 package frozen spinach cutlets, defrosted)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Preparation 

1)      Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray (if you’re using a non-stick dish, the cooking spray is not necessary)
a)     NOTE* the recipe only calls for 1 layer, in a 9x13 baking dish. If you want thicker lasagna I would recommend using a smaller dish. Since we’re substituting quinoa for noodles, we’re not limited to a rectangular dish. OR if you have a large group of people, you could double the recipe, use the 9x13 dish and have a 2-layer lasagna.
2)     Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is gone. Stir every 3-5 minutes.
3)     Preheat oven to 350°F.
4)     Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add onion and turkey sausage; cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is browned. Browning meat is critical to flavor, so even though it takes a little extra time, it is not something I would skimp on!
5)     Add garlic and sauce. Stir until sauce bubbles. Remove from heat.
6)     Combine ricotta cheese and egg in a medium bowl; mix well. Stir in Parmesan, basil, spinach and oregano.


Now for the layering!!


1)      For 2-layer Lasagna:
a)     Spread 1/3 of the quinoa on the bottom of the baking dish
b)     Spread 1/2 sauce over the quinoa
c)      Make a layer of all the zucchini
d)     Then 1/3 ricotta cheese mixture,
e)     Then repeat, finish with the remaining quinoa and spread mozzarella on top.
2)     For 1-layer Lasagna:
a)     Spread all ½ the quinoa on the bottom of the baking dish
b)     Spread all of the sauce over the quinoa
c)      Make a layer of zucchini
d)     Spread all of the ricotta cheese mixture
e)     Finish with the remaining quinoa, and spread mozzarella on top
3)     Bake the lasagna until it is hot and the cheese is melted, bubbling and slightly browned around the edges, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
a)     NOTE* To get the top lightly browned, turn the oven to broil and carefully watch the cheese until it crispens and is lightly browned around the edges. It is important not to walk away during this step or the top of your lasagna WILL BURN!

 

Nutrition:
Per serving (without turkey sausage): 267 calories; 11 g fat ( 4 g sat , 4 g mono ); 39 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 524 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (27% daily value), Vitamin A (24% dv), Vitamin C (21% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Potassium (17% dv)

The Lee Family Traditional Lasagna (Healthy Adaptation)
Adapted from: Dana Lee, AKA Momma Lee or My Mom
Servings: 8  
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
  







Ingredients
  • Lasagna Noodles Whole wheat lasagna noodles (between 8-10)
  • 1 tablespoons canola oil or olive oil (I’ve been using coconut oil as a substation for canola)
  • 1 lb Italian Sausage Italian turkey/chicken sausage
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1.5 jars of Classico ® Tomato Basil pasta sauce (I would recommend making 1.5(+), a little extra is always good. Classico is my personal favorite but any sauce would work)
  • 2 cups Ricotta Cheese Fat Free Ricotta Cheese
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 large package frozen spinach cutlets, defrosted
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese part-skim mozzarella cheese


Preparation
1)      Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray (if you’re using a non-stick dish, the cooking spray is not necessary)
a)     NOTE* the recipe only calls for 1 layer, in a 9x13 baking dish. If you want thicker lasagna I would recommend using a smaller dish. OR if you have a large group of people, you could double the recipe, use the 9x13 dish and have a 2-layer lasagna.
2)     In a large pot, fill 2/3 full with water and bring to a boil. Add lasagna noodles, cook 5-10min or until soft.
a)     NOTE* You don’t want to overcook the noodles them because they will continue to soften/cook while the lasagna bakes.
3)     Preheat oven to 400°F.
4)     Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add turkey sausage; cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is browned.
a)     NOTE* Browning meat is critical to flavor, so even though it takes a little extra time, it is not something I would skimp on!
5)     Add garlic and sauce. Stir until sauce bubbles. Remove from heat.
6)     Combine ricotta cheese and egg in a medium bowl; mix well. Stir in Parmesan, basil, spinach and oregano.
Now for the layering!!
7)     For 2-layer Lasagna:
a)     Spread 1/3 of the noodles on the bottom of the baking dish
b)     Then 1/3 ricotta cheese mixture
c)      Spread 1/2 sauce over the ricotta
d)     Then repeat, finish with the remaining noodles and spread mozzarella on top.
8)    For 1-layer Lasagna:
a)     Spread all ½ the noodles on the bottom of the baking dish
b)     Spread all of the ricotta cheese mixture
c)      Spread all of the sauce over the ricotta
d)     Finish with the remaining noodles, and spread mozzarella on top
9)     Bake the lasagna until it is hot and the cheese is melted, bubbling and slightly browned around the edges, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
a)     NOTE* To get the top lightly browned, turn the oven to broil and carefully watch the cheese until it crispens and is lightly browned around the edges. It is important not to walk away during this step or the top of your lasagna WILL BURN!


No comments:

Post a Comment