pinterest-e8324.html put a fork in it: Breakfast: Mini Frittatas

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Breakfast: Mini Frittatas


I am a BIG proponent of breakfast; it could arguably be my favorite meal of the day. Typically Frank and I make smoothies during the work week, and on the weekends we occasionally splurge on one of our favorite breakfast joints in Boise. Therefore I don't get to trying out breakfast recipes very often. BUT one of my New Year’s resolutions was to cut back on eating out to save some $, sooo I have been on the hunt for new breakfast recipes.


I have read several variations of this recipes (hence the list of sources) and decided to combine and conquer (and add a couple tweaks of my own)! Frittatas are a great breakfast dish- simple, easy and you usually can just throw whatever you like in them and they turn out deeeelicious. If you have never had a frittata I would describe it as a quiche without the crust. The typical ingredients include eggs, milk, cheese (just like a quiche), veggies and the occasional meat (also very quiche like).


I was intrigued to try these mini frittatas. I hoped I could make a big batch and Frank and I would have breakfast set for the week. Well, we finished them off today... so they provided about 3 days of breakfast for 2 people, which isn't bad, but next time I will have to double the recipe if we are going to make it allll week.


As for my review of the recipe I would give this bad-boy 3 out of 4 forks. Slicing and dicing all the ingredients took a little bit of time, as well as cracking and dividing the eggs- I would estimate about 10-15min of prep time and an addition 5-10 min. of mixing and dividing the mixture into the muffin cups. However, they were definitely worth the work. The frittatas had great flavor, good texture, and clearly contained the health factor with only 39 calories PER serving!


Frank and I ate ours on a corn tortilla with some Tapitio sauce and yum-yum-yum... made for a great, balanced breakfast. Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

 

Mini Frittatas

Sources: Myrecipes.com (from CookingLight) and Fitnessmagazine.com

Serving: 2-3 muffins (depending on muffin tins), makes between 15-18 muffins (*I made 16)
 
Amount per serving: Calories: 39, Calories from fat: 30, Fat: 1.3g, Protein: 4.4g, Carbohydrate: 2.3g, Sodium: 121mg, Calcium: 80mg

Ingredients:

  • Cooking spray
  • 3 cups chopped spinach 
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion 
  • 1 package Canadian bacon, chopped
  • 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese 
  • 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 5 large egg whites
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup low-fat milk
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. In a large mixing bowl add the spinach, onion, Canadian bacon, dried thyme and pepper. Mix together.
  3. In a small bowl whisk together eggs and milk. 
  4. Add eggs and milk to large mixing bowl, and stir until blended.
  5. Add Cheese *I divided the mixture into two bowls and added the extra-sharp cheddar cheese to one, and mozzarella to the other. The cheeses didn't have a noticeable flavor difference therefore you could mix all the cheese into the large mixing bowl, or make two different types, up to you!!
  6. Spoon mixture into muffin cups (about 1/4 cup) coated with cooking spray. 
  7. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until set.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment