pinterest-e8324.html put a fork in it: Healthy Pozole

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Healthy Pozole

Back in my glorious college days I used to work at the most wonderful family Mexican restaurant in Moscow, Idaho (If you ever get a chance you have to visit La Casa Lopez). 

Before I worked there my idea of Mexican food included enchiladas, tacos... burritos etc. I had NEVER had flautas, carne asada, chimichanga, pollo a la crema (my mouth is watering just thinking about it) or one of my favorites POZOLE.

The Lopez family, that owns La Casa Lopez (kinda intuitive) would always have me try their more traditional dishes- and one cold day in Moscow, I finally tried Pozole. I am not a BIG fan of pork so I usually stear clear of dishes with pork in them- one because I prefer chicken and two because pork in most forms is not that good for you. BUT my friend Alejandra finally convinced me and it was deeeelicious- so thank you Ale!

Since then, I have moved away from Moscow and live about 6 hours south in Boise- where good Mexican food is a little harder to find. Although, I'm sure most would be shocked to hear you could find great Mexican food in northern Idaho!

Either way, since I moved away I have been trying to make a "lighter" Pozole that still captures all it's delicious flavor. Last year I made an attempt in my crock pot and it turned out terribly. Luckily my roommate at the time loved hominy so I used the left overs and created a Pozole-to-enchilada casserole- not my finest hour but at least it didn't go to waste.

I subscribe to Fitness Magazine and they routinely have some great recipes ideas. To my delight I stumbled upon this gem! And this last week I finally got to test-er out! I definitely give this recipe 4 out of 4 forks. Not only is it a pretty simple recipe, but it had great flavor, and it has the health factor. It is a little high on the fat total, which is attributed to the pork- so to lighten it up I would recommend grilled chicken or just the veggie version.

 

Pozole


Makes: 4  servings
Prep Time: 14 mins Cook Time: 22 mins

Calories: 432, Fat, total(g): 19, sat. fat(g): 4, carb.(g): 35, fiber(g): 9, pro.(g): 34,  
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

 

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound center-cut boneless pork chops, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 2 celery stalks, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 15 ounce can hominy (such as Goya) or whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained (*I LOVE HOMINY, so if you haven't tried it yet, Pozole is a perfect opportunity- it can be found in the Mexican food aisle at the supermarket)
  • 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes (*I used two medium tomatoes-diced)
  • 1 avocado, thinly sliced
  • 5 large radishes, thinly sliced
  • 1 lime, sliced into 4 wedges

 

Directions:

  1. Sprinkle the pork with the salt, black pepper and chili powder.  
  2. In a soup pot, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Remove from pot. 
  3. Add the onion, celery, garlic, oregano and cumin to the pot; cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add the chicken broth, hominy or corn, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in pork and cook 5 minutes or until heated through. 
  4. Ladle soup into four bowls; top each with slices of the avocado and radishes and a lime wedge. (*Don't forget the limes, they are key to completing the unique flavor combo)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment