pinterest-e8324.html put a fork in it: Morning Smoothie

Friday, January 11, 2013

Morning Smoothie

 GOOD MORNING, GOOD MORNING!

Typically every morning Frank makes up our daily breakfast smoothie. Our smoothies consist of a various variations of egg whites, non-fat Greek yogurt, frozen berries (typically strawberries and/or blueberries), the occasional banana, soy milk, OJ and flax seed oil.

I have attempted a few times over the last year to throw in some spinach now and then but Frank is not a big fan of the color spinach makes the smoothie (typically a redish-brown). So usually we just stick with the tradition variations- strawberry banana, "everything smoothie" (basically includes all the ingredients I previously mentioned) etc.

I found this recipe earlier this month (on SlenderKitchen.com) and have been saving it for the perfect morning- meaning I got to the blender before Frank. Well today was the day, and I finally got to test out, what I am nick-naming, the "Green Machine". And it was DEEELICIOUS. 

I have tried a few truly green smoothies and they always come out tasting a little too "healthy" or "grassy" for my liking. Well the Green Machine is a great balance of greens- kale, spinach and granny smith apple. I give it a FOUR out of FOUR forks (I would suggest using my additions below).  Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!


GREEN MACHINE

 
Servings: 1
Serving Size: about 2 cups

Ingredients

1 cup lite vanilla soy milk
1 heaping cup spinach leaves
1 heaping cup chopped kale leaves
1 frozen banana (quick tip – freeze them without the peels for quicker use)
1/2 granny smith apple
1 tsp honey


*I added two egg whites, 1/3 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt, and I didn't have vanilla soy milk, so I used plain soy and 1/8th tsp of vanilla extract
Adding the extra protein in the morning with adding egg whites and Greek yogurt really help me feeling full longer! PLUS, egg whites give the smoothie a nice frothy texture. 

I would also recommend freezing the banana to give the smoothie a thicker texture. I forgot to throw one in the freezer last night so I just added some ice to thicken mine up.
  
Directions

  1. Blend the spinach, kale, and vanilla soy milk on high in the blender until well blended without chunks. 
  2. Add the frozen banana, apple, and honey and blend to your desired consistency.  Drink up!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment